Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Redbox, I hate to love you.

Do you use Redbox, the movie rental kiosk that's popping up all over the Big Country? I do, and I find it very convenient. I think it's a smart move that the DVDs are different versions than the ones you buy at the store, for the fact they don't have any special features. That way people will still continue to purchase DVDs and BluRays... and maybe even be discouraged from purchasing it from the Redbox by failing to return it and eating the fees.

In Brownwood last weekend, we passed a Redbox on the way into CVS. Then, we looked next door toward the new Anytime Fitness which has taken over the old Blockbuster building.

"This replaced that," my husband said, gesturing between the two.

I'm torn by the concept. I'm ALL about convenience, and have used a Redbox probably 10 times in the last few months, whereas I hadn't set foot in a Blockbuster store in years. Maybe if I played video games it would have been a different story. But it's sad to me that technology has allowed machines to do the work of employees.

What do you think about it?

1 comment:

  1. Price beat Blockbuster. They charged crazy rental fees and insane late fees. The blockbuster kiosk are few and far between. I hate for people to lose their job but BB brought it on themselves.

    ReplyDelete