Monday, July 26, 2010

Inception: You won't be disappointed!

(Make the headline "You won't be disappointed unless the movie stops during the climax and it takes 10 minutes to get the audio back on so you miss the most important part." Thanks, Century 12.)

Inception was extremely creative, well-written, and well-directed. Many times I find myself in a movie judging the special effects or looking at holes in the plot, but I was immersed in this story from start to finish. Well, except for the aforementioned snafu.

The movie's idea is really complicated, but can be broken down like this: We can't really control our dreams, so if someone were to share a dream with us we'd be vulnerable to him or her discovering our thoughts, desires, personal information, etc. "Inception" means taking it one step further and planting an idea in someone's head during a dream so that they think it's an original idea of theirs.

I'm a vivid dreamer. I think it's probably a poor sleep issue, but I can wake up and tell you everything that happened in my dream, although trying to describe it in normal terms is almost always impossible. I think that's why I liked this movie so much! It takes all the strangeness of a dream and turns it into a plot.

(Yes, I know The Wizard of Oz did that 75 years ago)

I'm also capable of understanding that I'm dreaming, so I can take my dreams "to the next level" so to speak, and manipulate what's happening based on knowing there will be no consequences when I wake up. I also have dreams within dreams. I'll wake up from a dream, go get ready for work, then wake up again and realize I never actually got ready. So the fact that this "two-level dream" was glorified in the movie made me feel like I was special. :)

Ok, I've been writing for 10 minutes and know there's no way I'd be able to properly review this movie, so thanks for listening to me ramble, and GO SEE INCEPTION! Or, if you felt differently about it, please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment